Who doesn't love a good pizza? We here at Husk and Honey love a good homemade pizza, and personally think that lunch and dinner shouldn't get all the fun! That is why we have come up with this delicious plum and cinnamon spiced pizza (yeast cake) that is perfect for breakfast, snacking or dessert!! It's super simple, and a great summer recipe for any stone fruit, or even berries. Its also easily made vegan!
2 Tsp Yeast
1 Tsp Sugar
1/2 cup Warm Water
2 cups high grade flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp grape seed or rice bran oil
*More warm water for mixing.
8 - 12 plums (depending on the size)
1 cup of ground almonds or hazelnuts (we used hazelnuts)
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup of brown sugar
100g butter at room temp (or margarine to make vegan)
1/2 cup of shedded coconut (lightly toasted)
Some greek or coconut yogurt or cream.
1. Mix together warm water, yeast and sugar. Set aside in a warm area for 20minutes and let rise to activate the yeast.
2. Place the flour, sugar, oil and activated yeast into a bowl, and enough warm water to mix into a dough. Add a little bit of the warm water at a time, until you are happy with the consistency - which will be when all ingredients are combined.
3. Knead this mixture on a floured bench until you have a nice smooth ball of dough. Around 5minutes of kneading.
4. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to proof in a warm area for a couple of hours.
5. Once dough has risen (doubled in size), it is ready to use. Punch down and roll out on a floured bench, then place in a flat baking tray (approx 25x25cm). Push to the edged to form a small crust.
6. Lightly sprinkle the dough with a mix of Cinnamon and Sugar. (Use about 1/2 of the cinnamon and sugar for this as you will use the other half for the topping.)
7. Chop up your plums into halves or quarters, removing the pip and arrange on the sugared dough. With the cut side facing up.
8. In a small bowl make the light crumble, mixing together the ground nuts, rest of the cinnamon and sugar and the softened butter. Sprinkle this on top of the plums and then place in a warm space for another 30 minutes while the oven heats up to 180degrees Celsius.
9. Bake for 30 mins in the middle shelf of the oven, until the base is cooked through and the plums have softened with nice crunchy topping.
10. Serve warm with cream, coconut yoghurt or ice cream or cold as a cake slice!