The Easter Bunny may have already come and gone, but that doesn't mean you can't keep enjoying easter treats for the next couple of weeks! Heres our fave Hot Cross Buns Recipe!
Ingredients & Method
- Mix 2 teaspoons dry yeast with 1-2 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl, leave in a warm place to rise.
- Pop 500g of white high grade flour and 1/4 cup of coconut or white sugar in a large bowl, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 teaspoons all spice, a pinch of salt, 1 egg and 1/2 cup raisins.
- Add your risen yeast mix and 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water into the mix so the dough comes together in the bowl, not too wet and not too dry
- Flour your bench lightly and pop the dough on the bench.
- Now for the fun part, set your timer to 8 minutes and knead the dough till the timer beeps , you should have a nice silky smooth dough.
- Roll your ball of dough in a bit of oil and put back in the large bowl to prove for 1 hour (until it doubles in size).
- Pre heat you oven to either 200C bake or 190 fan bake.
- Once risen, punch down and knead for another 1 minute before forming into balls/buns. Place you made up buns next to each other on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with a tea towel and leave for a further 30 minutes to prove.
- Mix white flour and water to make a slightly runny paste and pipe your crosses on the buns.
- Place in the middle of your pre heated oven and bake for approx 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- I topped mine with an apricot jam glaze.