It's Halloween, and whilst it's never really been a big deal in my household, nor while growing up - an excuse to celebrate and have a little fun is always welcome, especially in these current locked down times here in Auckland, NZ!!
I thought that this year I'd try my hand at some iced sugar cookies, halloween themed! I didn't have much on hand and the price of butter has been putting me off any kind of baking recently - but after a little playing around, I have found a great sugar cookie recipe that is quick, easy and pretty cheap to make!! Use it for your Christmas cookies, birthday party cookies, any cookie cutter themed baking you are doing - this recipe is yummy and so easy! With a white chocolate icing that is way too moreish!
Sugar Cookies with a White Chocolate Icing
75g sugar (white or raw)
1tsp vanilla essense
1 cup standard flour
1/4tsp baking powder
A sprinkle of salt.
1 cup icing sugar
2 Tbsp milk (slightly warmed)
1/4 cup melted white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl and mix together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Then add the egg and vanilla. Continue to beat until all is combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. If the dough seems too soft and sticky for rolling, add 1 more Tablespoon of flour. You can put your dough into the fridge to chill for 1/2hr here if you'd like as it makes it easier to work with, but I used mine right away and it was fine!
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Place one portion onto a lightly floured work bench. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to a desired thickness. Use more flour if the dough seems too sticky.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough.
- Arrange cookies on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- While cookies are cooling, you can make your icing. Melt the white chocolate either over a double boiler (stirring continuously), or in the microwave in short bursts, ensuring it doesn't over cook. Mix the icing sugar with the warm milk, add more warm milk or water if not all icing sugar is dissolved, however you do want this mixture to be quite thick. Mix in the warm white chocolate until all is combined. You can scoop this mixture into smaller bowls and add food colouring if you'd like. This should be a thick consistency that is easy to work with and doesn't run off he edge of the cookies.
- Now is the fun part! Get creative and decorate your cookies!