I am sure many of us can agree that food is one of the greatest forms of comfort, and in times like these… a good recipe that also nourishes our body - is a win win! We thought it would be nice to reach out to our Husk and Honey community, to see if there were any foodies that would be keen to share their secrets with us & provide us with some lockdown kitchen inspo!
This scrumptious berry bowl is from the lovely Lara and Charity who run the Wholesome Sisters! The recipe has two parts, the 1st is the oats that you can adjust to feed as many as you’d like & the 2nd the granola to top off your bowl!
Inspired by the sweetest little girl ever, we bring to you Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats. This delicious breakfast will have you bursting with sweetness the entire day! Made using wholesome ingredients that tend to be staples in most households, this super quick and easy recipe is a no brainer!
Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats
Serves 1 Ingredients:
- 1⁄2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1⁄2 cup Mylk of choice
- 2 Tbsp Yoghurt of choice
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Protein Powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Desiccated/Threaded Coconut
- 1/2 Tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup
- 4 Strawberries, chopped into quarters
- Chocolate Chips
*We absolutely love strawberries, but this recipe is so versatile and can be made using any fruit. Simply substitute for you grated pear, chopped nectarine or any other type of berry. The possibilities are endless and it makes for excitement each time you create it with something new!
1. Place all of the ingredients into a jar or container.
2. Stir/shake to combine.
3. Seal and place in the refrigerator overnight.
4. In the morning, spoon the mixture into your coconut bowl and top with your favourite
toppings! We love bananas, peanut butter, homemade jam and our Cranberry Cashew Granola!!
Cranberry Cashew Granola
It is no secret that we absolutely adore granola, on its own, sprinkled on a smoothie bowl or with some fruit and yoghurt. It tastes amazing however you choose to have it! We often make a batch on a Sunday, to top our breakfasts throughout the week. The latest addition to our collection of recipes is our Cranberry and Cashew flavour. And OMG we are obsessed!! Find out just how good it is, by making some for yourself.
- 2 cup Oats
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 cup Coconut
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 3 Tbsp Vanilla Protein
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 3 Tbsp Honey (runny works best) 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients to make a thick syrup.
4. Add the syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. You want to ensure
that everything is well combined, you may need to get your hands dirty to do so.
5. Spread the granola upon a small baking tray or tin.
6. Place in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until slightly golden. Make sure you keep a
close eye on this as it can overcook and burn quickly.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, before breaking into chunks and
storing in an airtight container. Patience is key here. Breaking it up before it has had time to cool, will mean that your granola will not cluster as well.
From the Author’s of the recipe…
Kia Ora! We are Lara and Charity, aka The Wholesome Sisters. Are we actually sisters? Well not by blood, but we believe that sisterhood is about much more than what runs through your veins and besides, we are basically the same person! Passionate about sustainability, eco-living and conscious consumption, we aim to live a holistic lifestyle that nourishes the mind, body and soul. Both gymnasts, fitness fanatics & complete foodies, sharing our love of all things health, wellness, food and nutrition with the world is what we live for. Our relationship with exercise and food hasn’t always been so positive. But with the support and encouragement of one another and those surrounding us, we have overcome our battles and are now loving life more than ever!
Charity & Lara xx